Apr 08, 2020
ESL 051 - English as a Second Language (ESL) Level 1
Prepares English-as-a-second language students to understand simple spoken phrases and respond to basic personal information questions. Students learn decoding skills and survival vocabulary to read and write personal statements. This is beginning literacy level ESL. Students must show progress in three quarters of instruction. Course is graded credit/no credit.
Prerequisite(s): Placement by assessment.
• Read and understand words and sentences in school and workplace texts.
• Read and understand numerical information, such as dates and time.
• Identify the information required in forms and main ideas and details in short texts.
• Use headings and pictures to locate and identify important information.
• Know where to find the meaning of unfamiliar words.
• Write upper and lower case letters of the alphabet, spell simple words, and write sentences about everyday topics.
• Edit your writing with help from the teacher.
• Complete personal, school, and work forms.
• Use technology (computers) to write and to communicate with others.
• Listen and speak with different classmates in small and large groups.
• Tell about people, places, things, ideas, and events.
• Express feelings and ideas clearly.
• Ask questions when you don’t understand something.
• Answer questions clearly.
• Use correct capitalization, punctuation, and spelling.
• Use the “be” verb, the simple present tense, and the present continuous tense to complete sentences and to answer simple questions.
• Use many strategies (plans) to learn the meaning of new words and sentences.
Level 1 Course Standards for Technology
• Log-in to Canvas.
• Message your teacher in Canvas.
• Check your grades in Canvas.
• Complete assignments in Canvas.
Find out when this course is offered
Add to Favorites