Feb 23, 2020
ESL 054 - English as a Second Language (ESL) Level 4
Prepares English-as-a-second language students to respond to multi-step directions and communicate using formal and informal language in various situations. Students follow written instruction, read narratives, interpret graphical material, and write and edit an organized paragraph. This is high intermediate ESL. Students must show progress in three quarters of instruction. Course is credit/no credit.
Prerequisite(s): Placement by assessment.
• Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to show understanding of details in a text.
• Find the main idea of a text; find the important details and explain how they support the main idea.
• Find out what the writer’s purpose or what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
• Identify the reasons an author gives to support points in a text.
• Organize writing appropriate to task and purpose
• Develop the topic with facts, definitions, and details.
• Use linking words and phrases (e.g. and, but, so, or) to connect ideas.
• Provide a concluding statement or paragraph.
• Use capitalization, punctuation, and spelling correctly
• Speak clearly at a speed so other people can understand.
• Report on a topic or text, tell a story, or tell about an experience with facts and details.
• Speak in complete sentences when appropriate
• Come to discussions prepared so you can speak about materials you read
• Find the main ideas and supporting details of a text read aloud or information presented in media
• Produce simple, compound, and complex sentences.
• Use context of sentences as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
• Form and use regular and irregular verbs.
• Form and use the simple (e.g., I walked; I walk; I’m going to walk) verb tenses.
• Log-in to Canvas
• Send messages to your teacher in Canvas
• Check your grades in Canvas
• Complete assignments in Canvas
• Participate in discussions with classmates and your teacher in Canvas
Find out when this course is offered
Add to Favorites