ESL 062 - English as a Second Language (ESL) Level 2
Prepares English-as-a second language students to communicate using routine statements related to personal needs, desires, and feelings in familiar social contexts. Students learn to write basic messages, interpret maps, bills, and schedules, and follow written and oral instructions. This is beginning ESL. Students must show progress in three quarters of instruction. Course is credit/no-credit.
Prerequisite(s): Placement by assessment.
• Read and understand words, sentences, and short paragraphs in school and workplace texts.
• Find and tell about the main ideas and details in a text.
• Ask and answer questions about main ideas and details in a text.
• Look at headings and pictures to find and tell about important information in a text.
• Write letters of the alphabet, words, and sentences about school and work topics.
• Edit your writing with help from the teacher.
• Complete personal, school, and work forms.
• Use technology (computers) to write and to communicate with others.
• Do research (find information) to answer questions.
• Listen and speak with different classmates in small and large groups.
• Tell about people, places, things, ideas, and events.
• Speak clearly and slowly so people can understand you.
• Ask questions when you don’t understand something.
• Answer questions clearly.
• Use correct capitalization, punctuation, and spelling.
• Use the “be” verb, the simple present tense, and the present continuous tense to complete sentences and to answer simple questions.
• Use many strategies (plans) to learn the meaning of new words and sentences.
Level 2 Course Standards for Technology
• Log-in to Canvas.
• Message your teacher in Canvas.
• Check your grades in Canvas.
• Complete assignments in Canvas.
• Use websites to gather information.
Find out when this course is offered
Add to Favorites