Feb 23, 2020
ESL 085 - English as a Second Language (ESL) Level 5
Prepares English-as-a-second language students to understand sustained conversation and instructions and to communicate independently in various situations. Students apply reading strategies and critical thinking skills when reading materials from authentic sources. Students write and edit organized paragraphs. This is low advanced ESL. Students must show progress in three quarters of instruction. Course is credit/no-credit.
Prerequisite(s): Placement by assessment.
Speaking and Listening
• Contribute to a variety of discussions with partners, groups, and the whole class
• Be prepared for discussion by having read or studied required material
• Talk about a written text read aloud or information presented online or in other forms (such as video)
• Present and support an opinion about a topic.
• Ask for clarification when you don’t understand and check your audience for understanding
• Paraphrase and summarize a text read aloud or presented in various kinds of media.
• Use the following grammar points: simple past, past continuous, future, present perfect, modals, relative and adjective clauses
• Describe the overall structure of events ideas or information in a text
• Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by details
• Determine the author’s point of view and what it means to the text.
• Explain how the author uses evidence to support ideas and identify which evidence supports the author’s points
• Use context of a reading as a clue to the meaning of new words or phrases.
• Produce clear and organized opinion paragraphs appropriate for the task, purpose, and audience
• Write your opinions on topics and support your opinions with reasons and information.
• Use the following grammar points: simple past, past continuous, future, present perfect, modals, and conditional sentences
• Form compound (and, but, so, or) and complex sentences (after, before, when, because)
• Use correct capitalization, punctuation, and spelling
• Revise and edit writing individually and with peers
• Log into Canvas
• Send messages to your teacher in Canvas
• Check your grades in Canvas
• Complete assignments in Canvas
• Participate in written and oral discussions with classmates and your teacher in Canvas.
Find out when this course is offered
Add to Favorites