DANCE 140* - Ballet Technique I
Introduces the principles, techniques, and vocabulary of classical ballet. Students learn placement, flexibility, strength, and coordination. For beginning and advanced-beginning students. May be repeated for a maximum of ~ 6 credits.
- Describe the composition of a dancer’s line and form and apply correct body alignment and posture to ballet technique.
- Perform fundamental ballet conditioning exercises.
- Identify basic ballet movements using French terminology Illustrate how a system of practice exercises at the barre prepares dancers for proper ballet technique.
- Analyze the way in which acquired skills developed at the barre coordinate with movements in the center and across the floor.
- Explain how musical phrasing is used in ballet.
- Improve physical fitness and cultivate self-expression.
- Outline how the mechanics of ballet technique can be used to progress toward a mastery of other dance styles.
GenEd Outcomes: Creative and Critical Thinking
Find out when this course is offered
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)