The Bachelor of Applied Arts in Interior Design (BAA) offers a broadly-based and professionally-relevant curriculum that embraces the responsibility of preparing and inspiring the designers of the future. The BAA program provides a learning environment based on a foundation of holistic, creative problem-solving, and is accredited as a professional level degree by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA). The BAA curriculum is an upper-division course of study for students who have completed a regionally accredited Associate of Arts degree or higher (or equivalent), in one of the following degree categories: Interior Design, Interior Architecture, Architecture or Industrial Design. The degree offers a combination of core courses, general education and electives that help students achieve their particular career goals.
Students graduating from the BAA should have the skills and abilities to be employed by companies specializing in interior design services, including interior design and architectural firms who practice in commercial, institutional or residential interiors and space planning, provide furniture-related design and/or specifications, offer specialized consulting services, or participate in green-building and sustainable design projects.
Program graduates should be able to:
- Apply interior design principles and practices
- Recognize the implications of globalization on design practices and demonstrate an understanding of how social, political and physical influences shape the design of built environments
- Utilize the principles of lighting, acoustics, thermal comfort and indoor air quality to enhance the health, safety, welfare, and performance of building occupants
- Select and specify furniture, fixtures, equipment and finish materials on the basis of their properties and performance criteria, including environmental attributes, maintenance, installation, and life cycle cost
- Apply ethical and accepted standards of practice for project management, project communication, and project delivery
- Demonstrate leadership by engaging in multi-disciplinary teams representing a variety of points of view and perspectives collaborations, consensus building, and team-oriented activities
- Demonstrate understanding of laws, codes, standards, and guidelines thatimpact the design of interior spaces and protect the health, welfare and safety of the public, including fire and life safety, accessibility guidelines, and industry-specific regulations in the design of interior spaces
- Appraise the job market, create a search strategy and professional portfolio; leverage internship experience for career success; earn experience necessary to qualify for NCIDQ certification
To qualify for admission to BC’s BAA Interior Design program, eligible applicants must have:
- Associate of Arts degree or higher (or equivalent), from BC or another regionally accredited institutions in one of the following categories: Interior Design, Interior Architecture, Architecture, or Industrial Design
- Official transcripts from an accredited college or university
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better
A complete description of the required curriculum is shown in the worksheet.
In addition to eligibility requirements, students must achieve the following:
- Complete a total of at least 191 applicable college-level quarter credits (including the 90 credits required for admission to the degree program)
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the general program and concentration requirements
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework applied to the degree, including credits transferred from other colleges
- Complete at least 45 quarter credits for the degree in residence at BC, of which 30 credits must be upper division
To be considered for the bachelor of applied arts program prospective students must submit the following:
- Completed general Bellevue College admission form
- Nonrefundable general admission fee of $34
- Completed Bellevue College bachelor application form
- Nonrefundable application fee of $125
- Official transcripts from a regionally accredited college
- Digital portfolio containing examples of your work
For more information on the specific application requirements and instructions, please see the program website at www.bellevuecollege.edu/interiordesign/. You can also visit the BC Student Service Center or contact the Interior Design program manager at (425) 564-2624, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.