The State Short Early Childhood Education Certificate of Specialization-Infants and Toddlers is designed to meet the Washington State Career Lattice guidelines for people interested in caring for and educating young children from birth to age 3 in a variety of child care settings. Emphasis is placed on active student involvement, observation, participation, and practical experience. Classes help adults increase their understanding of the physical, intellectual, emotional and social development of children and to apply developmentally appropriate guidance and curriculum methods to meet the individual and group needs of children and their families. Credits earned may be applied to the 47 credit State Early Childhood Education Certification and the Early Childhood Education, AA and Early Childhood Education, AAS-T .
Certificate recipients should possess the skills & abilities described below:
- Observe, document and assess young children and use systematic observations, documentation, and other effective assessment strategies in a responsible way, in partnership with families and other professionals, to positively influence children’s development.
- Connect with children and families by knowing, understanding, and using positive relationships and supportive interactions as the foundation for their work with young children.
- Use developmentally effective approaches by knowing, understanding, and using a wide array of approaches, strategies, and tools to positively influence children’s development and learning.
- Identify, explain, and apply appropriate guidance techniques and theories as an important classroom management tool.
- Identify, explain, and apply nutrition, health and safety practices and procedures appropriate for use when teaching young children.
- Be engaged as members of the Early Childhood profession and use ethical guidelines and other professional standards related to early childhood practice.
All ECED or EDUC coursework required for any ELTE Certificate or Degree must be completed with a minimum grade of “C” (2.0) or better.