The BAS concentration in Diagnostic Medical Sonography is designed for individuals who have completed diagnostic medical sonography educational programs and want to advance their knowledge and skills within this specialty.
The curriculum is designed to teach students the essentials of leadership, an overview of the business and administrative functions in healthcare, along with advanced ultrasound imaging expertise. Graduates in this concentration will be qualified as managers and administrators and may acquire the clinical expertise to obtain additional credentials within Ultrasound.
The degree includes 180 credits, 50 of those included from the national certification and 40 from prerequisite/co-requisite work.
Degree recipients should possess the following skills and abilities:
- Apply administrative and business skills to solve problems, evaluate outcomes, and assess quality and performance in healthcare settings
- Demonstrate an understanding of leadership, ethical and multicultural issues as they pertain to healthcare
- Apply effective communication and management practices in healthcare settings
- Apply economic and financial management principles to healthcare organizations
- Apply advanced skills and concepts in clinical ultrasound imaging.
Individuals must have:
- National certification in Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Demonstrated completion from a regionally accredited college of the following courses, or their equivalent, with a grade point average of 2.0 or better:
In addition to eligibility requirements, students must achieve the following:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework taken at BC and the courses applied to the degree, including credits transferred from other colleges.
- At least 45 quarter credits for the degree must be completed in residence at BC, of which 30 credits must be upper division.
To be considered for the Bachelor of Applied Science program prospective students must submit the following:
- Completed general Bellevue College admission form
- Nonrefundable admissions and placement fee of $55
- Completed Bachelor of Applied Science application form and notice of right to file a discrimination complaint
- Nonrefundable application fee of $50
- Official transcripts from a regionally accredited college
- Proof of national certification in Diagnostic Ultrasound (DMS)
- Two letters of recommendation, on company letterhead, from someone who personally knows your work, such as your current or past supervisor, discussing your contributions to your work place and how they believe you will benefit from completion of the BAS program. If you are applying for this program immediately after completing an associate degree program, the letters of recommendation must be from your instructors on college letterhead.
- Personal statement (no more than 500 words) discussing:
- your education and work experience;
- advanced certifications or other educational attainments you already possess;
- your personal and professional goals; any specific or unique attributes that you will bring to the program;
- any challenges or hardships you have overcome in pursuing your educational or work goals;
- any other special considerations that you believe will make you a good candidate for the program.
Applications and instructions are available at www.bellevuecollege.edu/imaging