2019-20 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Information Systems and Technology BAS, Application Development Concentration
The BAS in Information Systems and Technology (IST) will provide students with a broad base of theoretical and technical knowledge, as well as specialized knowledge in one of the concentration areas: application development, business intelligence, and cybersecurity & systems administration.
This concentration will include fundamentals of programming, OOP, design patterns and practices, database applications, web technologies, and application environments, including mobile devices and the cloud.
Additional information can be found at www.bellevuecollege.edu/ibit/degrees/bachelor/ist.
Program graduates should be able to:
- Apply core competencies learned in the graduate’s chosen concentration to function as a successful professional in the field of Information Systems and Technology
- Apply a broad understanding of information systems and technology, creative problem-solving techniques and systems thinking to develop organizational solutions
- Work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams to apply information technology in support of organizational goals
- Identify and analyze user needs and take them into account in the selection, creation, evaluation, implementation and administration of information technology systems
- Work efficiently and effectively applying sound project management techniques and professional communication skills
- Analyze the local and global impact of information technology on individuals, organizations, and society
- Apply best practices and standards, conform to legal and regulatory standards, and apply appropriate ethical considerations including respect for privacy and intellectual property
- Engage in continuing professional development through lifelong learning
- Analyze and apply sustainable business practices
- Demonstrate the breadth and depth of the educational preparation through the completion of a capstone project
Individuals must have:
- Associate degree in an information technology or computer science related field from a regionally accredited institution, or Program Prerequisites or equivalent credits that represent the combination of program admission required courses and other transferable college-level credits
- Completed college courses with a grade of 2.0 or higher, with a minimum grade of 2.0 in all courses required for an associate’s degree in IT
- At least 15-16 credits of general education requirements completed as part of the associate’s degree
Completion of all required courses as shown in the worksheet for each corresponding concentration.
In addition to eligibility requirements, students must also achieve the following:
- Complete General Education Requirements, Elective Credits, and BAS Degree Requirement with a grade of “C” or better
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework taken at BC and the courses applied to the degree, including credits transferred from other colleges
- At least 45 quarter credits for the degree must be completed in residence at BC, of which 30 credits must be upper division
- Courses may be subject to minimum grade requirements and prerequisites. Check online at www.bellevuecollege.edu/classes/all
To be considered for the Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Systems and Technology, prospective students must submit the following:
- Completed general Bellevue College admission form
- Nonrefundable admissions and placement fee of $55
- Completed Bachelor of Applied Science application form
- Nonrefundable application fee of $75
- Official transcripts from regionally accredited college(s), demonstrating completion of an appropriate associate’s degree or equivalent credits, and the prerequisite courses, with a GPA of 2.0 or higher