Jan 28, 2021
ESL 084 - English as a Second Language (ESL) Level 4
Prepares English-as-a-second language students to respond to multi-step directions and communicate using formal and informal language in various situations. Students follow written instruction, read narratives, interpret graphical material, and write and edit an organized paragraph. This is high intermediate ESL. Students must show progress in three quarters of instruction. Course is credit/no-credit.
Prerequisite(s): Placement by assessment.
• Find out what the writer’s purpose or what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe
• Find the main idea of a text; find the important details and explain how they support the main idea.
• Understand the author’s point of view
• Describe connections between people, events, and ideas in the text.
• Use all the parts of text for understanding
• Find the meaning of new words without a dictionary
• Organize writing appropriate to task and purpose
• Develop a topic sentence with supporting details and a conclusion.
• Form and use the past and future tenses, modals, count and non-count nouns
• Use linking words (and, but, so) to make compound sentences
• Use linking words(after, before, when, because) to make complex sentences
• Use capitalization, punctuation, and spelling correctly
• Revise and edit writing individually and with peers
• Speak clearly at a speed so other people can understand.
• Report on a topic or text, tell a story or tell about an experience with facts and details.
• Speak in complete sentences when appropriate
• Check your audience for understanding
• Come to discussions prepared by reading or studying the required material.
• Ask for clarification when you don’t understand
• Find the main ideas and supporting details of a text read aloud or information presented in media
• Hear and use the past and future tenses, modals, count and non-count nouns in conversations
• Log-in to Canvas
• Send messages to your teacher in Canvas
• Check your grades in Canvas
• Complete assignments in Canvas
• Participate in discussions with classmates and your teacher in Canvas
Find out when this course is offered
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)